The 11 documents you need to apply for Portugal’s Golden Visa
Whether you’re applying individually or through a legal professional this is what you need
With the goal of attracting foreign investors, in 2012 the Portuguese government created the Golden Residence Permit Program, which enables non-EU/EEA citizens to obtain a special residence permit in exchange for a 5-year investment in Portugal. A simple and straightforward process with numerous advantages for those who are considering moving to and living in Portugal, this is the list of documents you need to get started on your Golden Visa application.
- A valid passport.
- Proof of your legal presence in Portugal (visa, entry stamps, etc.).
- A Portuguese fiscal number (NIF).
- Proof of an existing Portuguese bank account.
- Criminal records from your country of origin, and/or from the country (or countries) where you have been living for more than a year. The criminal records must be issued in the 3 months prior to your Golden Visa application.
- A form that authorizes the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF) to obtain a copy of your Portuguese criminal records.
- Proof that you are covered by the Portuguese public health system or by a private health insurance for the duration of your residency in Portugal.
- Documents that prove good standing with the Portuguese Tax and Customs Authority and Social Security system. These documents must be issued 45 days prior to your Golden Visa application.
- A sworn statement that declares your compliance with all the minimum investment requirements inherent to the Golden Visa application (total amount and 5-year period).
- Proof of payment of the Golden Visa application processing fee.
11. The specific documents related to the chosen option for investment in Portugal:
- A transfer of capital to Portugal in the value of €1,000,000.
- A transfer of capital in the value of €350,000, for the investment in research activities in the national scientific and technological system.
- A transfer of capital in the value of €250,000, for the investment in artistic production, recovery or maintenance of national cultural heritage.
- A transfer of capital in the value of €350,000, for the purchase of units in investment or venture capital funds aimed at the capitalization of Portuguese companies.
- Transfer of capital in the value of €350,000, to increase the share capital of a Portuguese company and the creation of five jobs for at least 3 years.
- Creation of a minimum of 10 new jobs.
- The acquisition of Portugal real estate in the value of at least €500,000.
- The acquisition of Portugal real estate whose construction dates back at least 30 years or which is located in an urban rehabilitation area, requiring rehabilitation works. The minimum investment is reduced to €350,000.
It is also important to note that any documents necessary for the Golden Visa application that are not in the Portuguese language must be certifiably translated and legalized, a process that can be completed in your country of origin or in Portugal.
The secret is out – Portugal has the French enamored. C’est la vie!